Sponsors express dismay over Oscar Pistorius murder charge
BT has expressed its shock over the news that brand ambassador Oscar Pistorius is charged with murdering his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp.
Oscar Pistorius: one Nike ad pulled from website yesterday
In a statement, BT said: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy. Given the ongoing legal proceedings, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further."
Meanwhile, sponsor Nike said: "We're not making any comment at this stage other than to say that the incident is a police matter and we will continue to monitor the situation closely."
However, an ad that featured on Pistorius' official website reading, "I am the bullet in the chamber", was removed yesterday afternoon.
The website features prominent pictures of Pistorius wearing BT and Nike-branded sportswear. Pistorius is due to appear in court in South Africa this morning.
Sporting brand Nike has a history of associating itself with sporting stars who subsequently fall into disrepute, including Tiger Woods, whose extramarital affairs caused him to take a break from the sport, and Lance Armstrong, the cyclist found guilty of doping.
After initially standing by him, Nike terminated its relationship in October 2012.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...