Growth in time-shifted TV viewing expected to level out
Time-shifted viewing via digital TV recorders (DTRs) is expected to plateau over the coming years, according to a report by the UK commercial broadcasters' marketing body, Thinkbox.
TV viewing figures have levelled out
Data from BARB revealed that the amount of linear TV recorded and watched on DTRs such as Sky+ and Virgin Media TiVo devices reached 10.1% of all viewing in 2012.
The figure was up from the 9.4% of total viewing in 2011, but represented slower growth than the rise from 7.6% in 2010. However, BARB’s figures do not include viewing on devices other than TV sets.
Thinkbox said it expects recorded and playback TV to settle at about 15% of total viewing once most households have access to DTRs.
Linear viewing in 2012 stalled at four hours and one minute per day, down by one minute from the 2011 total. The data from BARB suggested that, in 2012, the average person watched two hours and 35 minutes of commercial TV daily, also down by one minute on the previous year.
Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox managing director, said: ‘Linear TV is the bedrock of how we watch TV. Its continued strength underlines viewers’ preference for watching TV as it is broadcast and on a set.’Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)