O2 courts UK developers to find new uses for NFC
O2 is turning to the developer community to find new applications for near field communication (NFC) technology, as it moves to bring the smartphone technology into the mainstream.
Nokia NFC Hub: encourages brands to adopt the swipe technology
The network provider has teamed up with digital agency Isobar to invite 100 developers to take part in a 36-hour challenge to design the most creative NFC app, as part of its Isobar Create London event, running on 24 and 25 March, in East London's 'Tech City'.
Developers will pitch their apps to a panel consisting of judges from O2, BlackBerry and Isobar, and the best ones will win funding and marketing support to launch their apps.
Funding will be provided by BlueVia, O2's global development platform.
Winners will also be able to promote their app idea at an NFC-enabled outdoor site in central London, provided by Clear Channel.
NFC enables smartphone users to make payments and exchange information with a touch of their device.
While NFC is not yet mainstream in the UK, the past year has brought some major announcements from brands looking to exploit it.
These include Orange and Barclaycard's tie-up launch the first mobile payments system in the UK, using NFC technology, and Nokia's NFC Hub which enables brands to use the technology in their ad campaigns.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...