Skype hands global marketing duties to former Vodafone director
LONDON - Skype has appointed Doug Bewsher as chief marketing officer with a brief to oversee global brand and marketing development, as well as local 'go-to market activities'.
The appointment comes three weeks after it emerged that Skype has been searching for an agency to handle a global advertising brief.
Bewsher was previously chief marketing officer for mobile chat and games community Mig33.
His prior roles include global customer marketing director at Vodafone, heading the San Francisco office of digital agency Publicis Modem and co-heading McKinsey's North American CRM consultancy.
He will be based at Skype's headquarters in Luxembourg and will report to chief executive Josh Silverman.
Silverman said: "Doug is joining the Skype team as we continue to expose our 560 million registered users to an even richer experience and accelerate the introduction of Skype to millions of people in innovative ways.
"Doug will shepherd Skype's viral technology marketing, advertising and digital strategy; he will make an immediate and important impact."
In October last year, Skype hired an Omnicom line-up consisting of ad agency TBWA\London, direct and digital agency Rapp and branding agency Wolff Olins.
However, it parted company with TBWA soon afterwards when it emerged that TBWA's New York agency had a conflict with rival internet communications brand Vonage.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...