Skype hands global marketing duties to former Vodafone director
LONDON - Skype has appointed Doug Bewsher as chief marketing officer with a brief to oversee global brand and marketing development, as well as local 'go-to market activities'.
The appointment comes three weeks after it emerged that Skype has been searching for an agency to handle a global advertising brief.
Bewsher was previously chief marketing officer for mobile chat and games community Mig33.
His prior roles include global customer marketing director at Vodafone, heading the San Francisco office of digital agency Publicis Modem and co-heading McKinsey's North American CRM consultancy.
He will be based at Skype's headquarters in Luxembourg and will report to chief executive Josh Silverman.
Silverman said: "Doug is joining the Skype team as we continue to expose our 560 million registered users to an even richer experience and accelerate the introduction of Skype to millions of people in innovative ways.
"Doug will shepherd Skype's viral technology marketing, advertising and digital strategy; he will make an immediate and important impact."
In October last year, Skype hired an Omnicom line-up consisting of ad agency TBWA\London, direct and digital agency Rapp and branding agency Wolff Olins.
However, it parted company with TBWA soon afterwards when it emerged that TBWA's New York agency had a conflict with rival internet communications brand Vonage.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London