London 2012 launches mascots Wenlock and Mandeville
LONDON - The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) has unveiled the mascots for the London 2012 Games.
The two mascots, 'Wenlock' for the Olympics and 'Mandeville' for the Paralympics, were created by ad agency Iris, which won the brief following a competitive pitch against VCCP, Mother and Saatchi & Saatchi.
The two one-eyed characters are metallic, and meant to represent the last two drops of steel poured for the final girder of the 2012 stadium, before a grandfather retired home to carve them into a new form. The agency has also produced an animated video, written by author Michael Morpurgo, to accompany the launch.
Wenlock and Mandeville feature a number of London- and Olympic-related design cues, including a headlight to represent the hire light of a hackney carriage, the five Olympic rings worn as wristbands, and the colours gold, silver and bronze to reflect the medals.
"Our brief was to create mascots that would excite and inspire young people and encourage them to get involved in sport," said Grant Hunter, creative director at Iris.
He added: "To capture people's imagination you have to create something iconic - something unique - something as individual as you and me. We have created a flexible design that allows you to make the mascot your own, while celebrating what is great about Britain - our heritage, our culture and our creativity."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Powerpoint and Infographics presentation designer 30 to 40k+ Digital Gurus £30 - £45 per annum, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...