Mirror to axe 200 editorial jobs
Mirror Group newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mirror, the Sunday Mirror, and The People, is set to cull 200 editorial jobs, in a major cost-cutting move.
Daily Mirror: 200 editorial jobs to go
The national newspapers currently employ about 550 editorial staff, full and part-time. It is looking to cut 140 full-time editorial jobs and 60 part-time staff across the Daily Mirror, the Sunday Mirror and the People. The group's regional titles are not impacted by today's announcement.
The move is the latest cost-cutting move by parent group Trinity Mirror, which has closed a raft of local newspapers and scaled back its headcount to offset a tough newspaper market.
The new job cuts are on top of the estimated 1,700 people who have left the group over the past 18 months.
The group said the latest drastic job cull has been prompted by the move to new multimedia newsrooms across the three national titles.
It singled out its investment in a new content management system, which would help substitute for journalists undertaking editorial work.
The group said the three editors of the national newspapers would not be affected by the change.
As part of the changes, sub-editing duties would be outsourced and news and features desk would be merged across the titles, the group's statement said.
The group has now entered a 90-day consultation with staff likely to be affected. It has also launched a voluntary redundancy scheme.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...