Lord Coe defends BP's London 2012 sponsorship
London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has come out in support of BP, stating that the oil giant remains a "trusted partner" of the Games despite the growing crisis in the Gulf of Mexico.
Lord Coe: voiced support for London 2012 sponsor BP
Speaking at a promotional event for the London 2012 Cultural Weekend, which will take place next month, Coe claimed that the oil spill off the US coast "does not make a difference to us at all". BP is a tier-one sponsor of the London Olympics.
Coe said: "They [BP] were with us during the bid and now they are with us as partners doing the delivery phase. They are an example of a world class company who are working with us, sharing our vision and bringing it forward."
BP chief executive Tony Hayward, who has cancelled a scheduled speech he was due to make to oil companies today, was criticised over the weekend for taking a day out to go sailing around the Isle of Wight.
Last night, a BBC ‘Panorama’ documentary featured a testimony from Deepwater Horizon oil rig worker Tyrone Benton, who claimed he identified a leak in the safety equipment some weeks before the explosion took place, killing 11 workers.
Separately, a brand-valuation report by analyst General Sentiment claims that BP’s brand value has deteriorated by around $32m for each day since the oil leak, and dropped by $1bn overall.
Earlier this month, BP launched a series of TV ad campaigns in the US, in a bid to restore its image in the eyes of angry US consumers.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Business Development Manager - Cloud Services Digital Gurus £50000 - £60000 per annum + commission, package, London