Tetley tea folk in comeback
Tetley's animated "tea folk" are poised to make a return to its advertising after a nine-year absence.
Tetley: brings back the tea folk
A campaign created by MCBD will be spearheaded by a "nostalgic" TV ad for the tea brand, which has lost market share in recent years to Unilever's PG Tips.
The revival will be overseen by Tetley’s UK president, Nigel Holland, who dropped the characters during his time as the brand’s marketing director.
The tea folk include Gaffer and Sydney, who represented the brand for 28 consecutive years. Since 2001, however, the brand has centred its marketing message on the health credentials of tea.
A teaser campaign is set to appear in the next fortnight followed by a "nostalgic, emotional, tearjerker of a TV ad", according to sources.
Nielsen figures show that Tata-owned Tetley, once the biggest tea brand in the UK, now trails PG Tips. The latter's sales for the year to October 2009 were £137m, compared with £114m for Tetley.
Tetley was unavailable for comment as Marketing went to press.
Gaffer, Sydney, Archie and Clarence used to be a mainstay of Tetley's advertising in ads such as this from the 1980s:
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)