Nationwide axes £20m England football sponsorship
Nationwide is set to terminate its 11-year sponsorship of the England football team, following the side's ignominious exit from this year's World Cup in South Africa.
Nationwide: axing its £20m sponsorship of the England football team
The building society, which replaced insurer Green Flag as team sponsor in 1999, is "unlikely" to renew its deal, worth £20m over four years, which expires next month.
A Nationwide spokeswoman said: "Nationwide's sponsorship of the England team has been extremely successful over 11 seasons and has significantly raised the profile of our organisation. Our current sponsorship deal ends at the end of July and it is unlikely to be renewed."
It leaves The Football Association (FA) struggling to fill a gap in its funding, as the team recovers from its disappointing 4-1 defeat to Germany in the last 16 of the World Cup.
Last month, The FA managed to secure a one-year extension from FA Cup sponsor E.ON, which had previously announced it was ending the deal this summer as part of a "change in sponsorship strategy".
The FA also hired design agency Bulletproof to create a new visual identity for Wembley Stadium, in an effort to help attract a new raft of sponsors, including a "lead partner".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...