Renault pitches France against UK in comic ads
Renault is rolling out an integrated campaign encouraging British consumers to think more positively about the French car marque.
The revised marketing strategy associates Renault with Gallic culture, akin to its "Nicole and Papa" ads of the 80s and 90s. The aim of the campaign, created by Publicis, is to improve UK sales of the Megane saloon, which is losing out to the Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra.
Ads will contrast the Côte d’Azur resort of Menton with Gisburn in Lancashire to establish which has the greatest "joie de vivre". The tongue-in-cheek spots will compare a swimming pool in Menton with a puddle in Gisburn, and show a French couple at a sunny seaside restaurant and a British couple outside a pub in bad weather.
A 10-day teaser TV and print campaign, launching this week, will claim Menton contains more than 21 Meganes, while Gisburn has none. Consumers will be directed to a website at themeganeexperiment.com, which will follow the journey of Claude as he drives a Megane from Menton to Lancashire.
From next month, a follow-up TV, print, radio and digital push will follow Renault's attempts to give Gisburn greater joie de vivre. Extra content will be avail-able on YouTube and Renault TV.
Phil York, Renault UK marketing director, said: "Megane is not on enough shopping lists at the moment."
UK sales of the French marque have declined, with new vehicle registrations in 2009 down nearly 30% year on year, according to the Society for Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
However, in the first six months of this year, Renault’s UK sales across all models increased by 120% year on year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...