INM sells stake in Indian newspaper group
MUMBAI - Independent News & Media announced today that it has sold the remainder of its holding in Indian newspaper group Jagran Prakashan Limited, owner of the Hindi daily Dainik Jagran, for €32m.
Dainik Jagran: INM sells stake in Jagran Prakashan Limited
INM said the sale represented the final tranche of its remaining shareholding in JPL, chaired by Mahendra Mohan Gupta, and it would use the cash to further reduce bank debt.
Dainik Jagran is India's best-read newspaper with 37 editions and more than 55.7 million readers.
INM originally invested €28.5m to acquire a 26% stake in 2005 and has received proceeds of around €96m in total as a result of share sales over the past 14 months.
At the request of the Gupta family, the founders and majority shareholder in JPL, INM chief executive Gavin O'Reilly, will continue to serve as an independent non-executive director of JPL.
O'Reilly said: "It is fitting to recognise that our five year investment in JPL has been a highly profitable one for INM.
"Having been the first international media group to invest in the burgeoning Indian newspaper market in 2005, and having worked with a hugely professional, innovative and world-class management team in JPL, we remain open to the many exciting possibilities in the Indian media market in the future."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...