Playboy iPad app under fire
The new Playboy iPad App has prompted criticism from online tech and media forums that the absence of nudity is a gaping hole in the premium priced content.
Kelly Brook: Playboy's September cover star
Priced at $4.99 (£3.20), the HD downloadable digital version of Playboy magazine has been edited to comply with Apple’s strict no-nudity policy. The previous iPhone app also toed the no-nudity line and was priced at $0.99 (63p).
US media website Minonline criticised the lack of pictorials and cartoons typical of the printed magazine, despite the inclusion of "attractive headshots".
The website said: "The problem for Playboy is that the missing pieces are so obvious because they are so well known."
The criticism throws an interesting light on the future of iPad publishing and whether full priced iPad Apps for magazines can be defended if a considerable amount of the original content is absent.
Playboy Enterprises is currently investing in its digital business. The company launched a website last month which was billed as a site suitable for accessing at work, called The Smoking Jacket.
Hugh Hefner announced plans to regain complete control of his publishing empire Playboy Enterprises Inc last month, by buying the remaining shares of the company he does not own. The move would value Playboy at $185m.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Video Creative Solutions Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £65000 per annum + +comm+bens, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Fashion Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone + Benefits, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Mobile Phone Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone and Benefits!, London
- Digital Planner Buyer - £28k - Big Budgets! Ultimate Asset £26000 - £28000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Creative Thinker - Senior Planner Buyer - £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Senior Digital Media Planner Buyer- £30k- Independent Agency Ultimate Asset £28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits, London