BR Video: Public debates green credentials of mobile devices
Environmental credentials are becoming a consideration for consumers when choosing a mobile phone, with people indicating that O2's new eco ranking tool is a good idea, according to the latest BR Video.
Janet, an administrator, 55, said: "A phone’s a phone and as long as it makes calls, obviously it makes sense to have one that has least impact on the environment."
Student Elliot, 18, thought some people would be shocked if they knew how bad the manufacture of some devices was for the environment.
He said: "I have recycled my phones in the past but sometimes I haven’t been able to do it because of the materials it’s been made out of. So I would look into the environmental impact of my phone before I buy it."
Hemma, a 22-year-old graduate, said that as more people are "aware of the environment now and wanting to help", O2’s ranking system is a "good idea" and maybe other companies should look to install it".
Sales executive Stuart, 40, said: "Phones are so disposable, so if somebody came out with a good phone that was good for the environment then that would definitely be the next choice when I upgrade a phone."
A number of the members of public do not believe that environmental concerns affect consumers when purchasing a mobile device.
Claire, a 41-year-old housewife, said: "I don’t think people do care when they buy a phone, they just focus on the gadgets and the price."
David, a retired 73-year-old, agreed that individuals generally do not worry about the impact of their phone.
Council service officer Devon, 21, said the O2 rating tool is good for those who care about their phone's impact but it is not a personal concern of his.
He said: "I’m just someone that lives for the moment and I do not let things like the future affect me."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Head of SEO Lipton Fleming £80000 - £90000.00 per annum, London
- SEO Manager - FMCG Account - Stand-Out Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Manager - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £32K, Leeds