Coronation Street gets own Facebook game
The fifty year-old soap 'Coronation Street' has been turned into a social networking game on Facebook and ITV.com.
Coronation Street: famous faces get turned into cartoons for Facebook game
'Corrie Nation' is the result of a partnership with the ITV Studios 'Coronation Street' production team and game developer Enteraction, the social gaming subsidiary of media group Etv.
The aim of the game is for users to collect up to 60 characters from the soap's past and present to create and maintain their own world of 'Coronation Street'. Users will have the option to purchase virtual goods with real money and to collect property in the virtual version of the soap.
No pricing details have yet been disclosed. Andy Rogers, managing director of Etv, aid: "Users can play the game in its entirety for free with the virtual currency they have access to.
"If users wish to progress quicker they can purchase more virtual currency with real currency in order to improve their street environment such as buying a car. The game is very similar in that respect to other virtual life games such as Farmville or Mafia Wars."
In the game players use their understanding of what builds drama to help them score maximum points.
Users can also compete or collaborate with each other by trading duplicate characters. Game points can be exchanged for storyline spoilers presented as "psychic predictions" from one of the characters.
In addition, users can choose tasks that reflect what they think characters should do in current storylines from the show.
Patricia Wagstaff, director of digital productions, ITV Studios, said: "We’re thrilled this fantastic game is the latest addition to the Corrie off-screen activities, which include games, books, DVDs and ale."
Kieran Roberts, creative director, Manchester Drama, ITV Studios, said: "We’re delighted this brilliantly imaginative new game will take the show onto new platforms while remaining truthful to 50 years of heritage and everything viewers love about Corrie."
The game will initially be available on ITV.com and Facebook from 1 November with further platform launches to follow.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...