Print is most efficient medium for FMCG advertisers
Print and outdoor are the most efficient media for FMCG advertisers, according to research from Clear Channel Outdoor and Brand Science, the Omnicom Media Group research division.
Printed products: most efficient media for FMCG advertisers
Last week Sally Dickerson, global director at Brand Science, presented the most recent econometrics research at Clear Channel Outdoor's Ideas Seminar to more than 150 planners and buyers from agencies and specialists.
Print generates £1.47 incremental sales revenue for each £1 of media and production costs for FMCG advertisers. Outdoor media generates £1.09, radio 89p, TV 80p and online 66p.
For FMCG advertisers, the return on investment for outdoor increases as outdoor's share increases. If outdoor takes an above median share of spend it generates incremental sales of £1.33 compared with just 30p for a below median share.
Print is also the most efficient medium for telecoms advertisers, delivering incremental sales of £11.31 for each £1 of media and production cost. Outdoor is the second most efficient delivering a return of £6.53.
Brand Science uses more than 750 econometrics studies to calculate the incremental revenue delivered by different types of campaign and the best media mix for different types of advertisers.
The research found that outdoor is the most efficient medium for advertising newspapers and magazines. Outdoor delivers £1.29 of incremental sales revenue for each £1 of media and production cost.
Other media are less efficient for newspapers and magazine advertisers. TV is the second most efficient with 77p of incremental sales revenue for each £1 of media and production cost, print and radio generate 50p and online 39p.
Radio is the most efficient medium for retail and travel advertisers, delivering incremental sales revenue of £6.10 and £7.84 for each £1 of media and production cost respectively.
The most efficient medium for personal finance brands is online. It delivers £2.52 incremental sales revenue for each £1 of media and production cost, shortly followed by print with a return of £2.42.
Dickerson said: "Outdoor is continuing to perform very well. It's a very friendly medium and its effect is there to be seen. It's also seen in the boost to other media and the overall campaign effect."
Brand Science reported that FMCG advertisers should increase the share of spend on outdoor from 15% in 2009/10 to 22% to achieve the most efficient media split. The best mix would be 41% on TV, 26% on print, 7% on radio and 3% on the internet.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Head of SEO & Content Marketing - Cheshire ASG £30,000 - £40,000 , Cheshire/ Merseyside