Shoppers turn to Tesco online
Tesco is luring online grocery shoppers away from competitor supermarkets, according to new research.
Tesco.com: winning the online grocery shopping battle
A quarter of Sainsbury's shoppers, and one-sixth of Asda shoppers are moving to Tesco's online store according to new data from research group Evolution Insights, who quizzed 1,002 shoppers for its ‘Online Food & Grocery: The Shopper Perspective’ report.
According to James Johnson, lead analyst at Evolution Insights, only 2% of UK grocery shoppers shop exclusively online, despite online now accounting for 10.5% of all retail sales.
"'Multi-channel' is a key feature in online grocery, raising the question of store loyalty between online and offline shopping. Our research shows that not only are Tesco shoppers the most loyal when it comes to online grocery shopping (86% who shop at Tesco and also shop online use Tesco.com), but Tesco has also managed to attract a significant proportion of shoppers from its competitors."
Tesco.com also attracts the largest number of online shoppers, with 55% of the market using the service 'most regularly'.
Johnson says value and promotions were the: "Primary reasons for store choice".
However, Johnson says there is a notable threat for Morrisons, as it does not yet have an online shop, because 37% of Morrisons shoppers do shop online, 53% using Tesco.com.
"Online grocery shoppers quickly establish familiarity and routine with retailers' online grocery websites. We expect Morrisons to struggle at launch to regain the loyalty of its shoppers that have already established their online grocery with a different retailer," he said.
A Morrisons spokesman said the store was: "looking into" online shopping and decisions were expected later this year. The grocer today launched its 'Price Crunch' promotion, which it claims is its biggest yet discounting offer.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...