Digital piracy costing brands millions
Digital piracy and ecommerce sites selling counterfeit goods are costing the UK £10m annually, according to brand protection agency MarkMonitor.
Digital piracy: costs the UK millions every year
MarkMonitor studied 22 high-profile brands and a found their names being used illegally by a total of 91 sites, either to commit digital piracy or sell counterfeit products.
Brand categories include film, TV, music, software, videogames handbags, sports apparel, pharmaceuticals, luxury items and footwear.
MarkMonitor identified 43 sites committing digital piracy, which includes the illegal downloading of ebooks, music, films and videogames. It also reported 48 sites that are guilty of selling counterfeit branded products.
The study found 26 sites selling counterfeit prescription drugs, with a combined traffic of 141,000 visits a day. It also identified 21 ecommerce sites selling counterfeit luxury goods with a combined traffic of 98,000 daily visits.
MarkMonitor said the sites that sell counterfeit goods and commit digital piracy pose problems including "lost revenue and risks to public health and safety".
North America and Western Europe host a total of 67% of the sites classed as committing digital piracy, the report found, while the same areas hosts 73% of counterfeit ecommerce sites.
Eastern European countries represent 14% of the counterfeit sites and 9% are from Asia.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...