Karmarama wins Wells and Young's advertising account
Wells and Young's, the UK brewer, has appointed Karmarama to handle the advertising account for its beer brands, which include Courage, Bombardier and Young's.
Courage: 2009 poster banned by the ASA
Karmarama won the business after a pitch in a process handled by ISBA.
The pitch, which was led by the Wells and Young's marketing director, Chris Lewis, kicked off in November last year. The brewer, which spent £2m on advertising in 2010 according to Nielsen, plans to increase its spend this year.
Kindred, the agency formed by the merger of Mustoes and Geronimo Communications last year, previously handled advertising for the Courage beer brands, including Courage Best and Courage Directors, as well as Bombardier.
Past advertising from the brands includes a Bombardier poster campaign last year celebrating St George's Day, showing the brand at the centre of a coat of arms comprising English icons including Eric Morecambe, Henry VIII, red pillar boxes and Cornish pasties.
The Courage brand courted controversy with a poster campaign in 2009, which was banned by the Advertising Standards Authority for implying that drinking Courage could boost confidence.
The ad featured a man sitting on a sofa and looking nervously at his girlfriend, who wore a figure-hugging dress with the label still attached. A pint of beer was accompanied by the strapline "Take Courage my friend".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...