Oxford Media Convention: Hunt to outline plans for local TV
Culture secretary Jeremy Hunt will today (19 January) announce details of the Government's much-trumpeted plan to provide local news coverage across the country.
Jeremy Hunt: to outline plans for local news coverage
Hunt is also expected to lay out his plans for a new Communications Act, which will include a number of reforms to the industry, as part of his keynote speech at the Oxford Media Convention.
Central to Hunt's speech will be the plans for local TV services, which the Government hopes to launch as early as next year on Freeview.
Hunt, a firm of advocate of local TV stations, will put out an invitation for "expressions of interest" from companies wishing to provide local news.
He hopes that national and regional newspaper groups, such as Daily Mail & General Trust (DMGT), will be interested in bidding for the contracts.
Hunt believes there is an untapped market for local news across the country, which local networks providing news coverage could tap into.
According to a Government-commissioned report by Nicholas Shott, the Lazard investment banker, the target should be to launch between 10 to 15 services by 2015.
Other keynote speakers at the conference will be Ivan Lewis, shadow secretary for culture, media and sport; Mark Thompson, BBC director general, and Ed Richard, chief executive of Ofcom.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...