Classic FM and TalkSport licence fees cut to 'nominal amount'
Ofcom has slashed the cost of Global Radio's and UTV's licences for Classic FM and TalkSport after a review ruled new entrants would not be prepared to pay for the licences.
Radio: analogue licence fees are slashed
The changes follow the Digital Economy Act, which provided for the three national analogue radio licences to be renewed without a competitive auction in return for support for the DAB platform from radio companies.
The licences for Classic FM and TalkSport will now be set at £10,000 a year for the next seven years. Absolute Radio, the third national licensee, has until the end of the month to apply for an extension of its AM licence.
In October 2010 Ofcom said it was considering the value of the licences to a new entrant in the period from the start of the renewed licence term to December 2015.
Global Radio currently pays £50,000 and 6% of qualifying revenue classed as national analogue ad revenue and sponsorship on Classic FM, per year for the Classic FM licence. UTV pays £100,000 per year for the TalkSport licence.
Ofcom ruled that although the national analogue licences generate profits for the incumbent licence holder, and are likely to continue to, these analogue profits will reduce over time as analogue listening as a proportion of total listening falls.
Ofcom, in a statement today, said a hypothetical new entrant would not be prepared to make financial payments in return for the right to broadcast nationally on analogue for the period under consideration and as a result, the incumbent licence holders could retain their licences in a hypothetical auction for a "nominal amount".
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...