Starbucks chief Schultz to lend expertise to Groupon
Groupon, the online collective purchasing service, has appointed Starbucks global chief executive Howard Schultz to the company's board of directors.
Howard Schultz: joins Groupon
Maveron LLC, a venture capital firm that Schultz co-founded, has also made an investment in the company.
Schultz, who is chairman, president and chief executive officer of Starbucks Coffee Company, served as Starbucks CEO from 1987 to 2000, taking the reins again in 2008.
He relinquished his role as CEO to concentrate on global strategy but returned to his job three years ago, replacing CEO Jim Donald, after the coffee chain had been underperforming.
In January Groupon announced it had completed a $950m (£610m) round of financing as it prepares to expand globally.
The company works with local businesses to offer steep discounts on services and products such as beauty treatments and meals, if enough users pledge to buy them.
In the UK Groupon was cautioned by the Advertising Standards Authority this week after it posted a misleading restaurant deal ad, which "exaggerated" the available discount.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...