Product placement logo and three-second rule revealed
Ofcom has released the logo that broadcasters must show during UK-produced programmes containing product placement, together with rules on when it has to be shown.
Product placement logo: to appear in corner of screen
The logo must:
- Appear for three seconds at the start and end of programmes, and after any ad breaks.
- Be placed in one of the four corners of the screen.
- Not conflict with programme idents.
- Meet minimum size requirements, which according to an Ofcom spokesman means it will be "roughly equivalent to the size of a channel logo".
Broadcasters will be able to slightly adapt the logo to either dark or light backgrounds.
UK-produced programmes featuring product placement can be aired for the first time from 28 February, as we revealed in December last year.
Before then it is expected there will be an awareness campaign to tell the public about the meaning of the logo and direct them to an Ofcom webpage providing more information about the rules.
According to an Ofcom spokesman individual broadcasters will be expected to air the awareness ad at least a week before they first show a programme featuring product placement.
Read more on product placement
- Marketing analysis: what brands need to know about product placement
- Campaign analysis: all about TV product placement
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London