Product placement logo and three-second rule revealed
Ofcom has released the logo that broadcasters must show during UK-produced programmes containing product placement, together with rules on when it has to be shown.
Product placement logo: to appear in corner of screen
The logo must:
- Appear for three seconds at the start and end of programmes, and after any ad breaks.
- Be placed in one of the four corners of the screen.
- Not conflict with programme idents.
- Meet minimum size requirements, which according to an Ofcom spokesman means it will be "roughly equivalent to the size of a channel logo".
Broadcasters will be able to slightly adapt the logo to either dark or light backgrounds.
UK-produced programmes featuring product placement can be aired for the first time from 28 February, as we revealed in December last year.
Before then it is expected there will be an awareness campaign to tell the public about the meaning of the logo and direct them to an Ofcom webpage providing more information about the rules.
According to an Ofcom spokesman individual broadcasters will be expected to air the awareness ad at least a week before they first show a programme featuring product placement.
Read more on product placement
- Marketing analysis: what brands need to know about product placement
- Campaign analysis: all about TV product placement
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- MARKETING MANAGER - Fashion Success Digital negotiable, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Optimisation Manager / Ad & Campaign Operations Manager UCAS Up to £50,000 plus 30-days annual leave, bonus, flexible benefits & pension, London (Central), London (Greater) / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)