BBC Magazines to launch new CBeebies spin-off mag
The BBC will launch a new children's magazine this spring, based on the CBeebies TV programme 'Something Special', aimed at children with learning and communication difficulties.
Something Special: BBC Magazines to produce spin-off title from children's prgramme
The title, which will be priced at £2.99, will be the ninth addition to the BBC's portfolio of pre-school magazines, all of which are spin-offs from CBeebies programmes, such as 'In The Night Garden' and 'Waybuloo'.
The magazine is designed to help its readers and their families communicate with the aid of recognised signs and symbols created by special needs charity Makaton.
Something Special will launch in early April and is dedicated to Mr Tumble, the show’s comic character, who is played by Justin Fletcher. It will be published every four weeks.
BBC Magazines produced a one-off special edition tied to the brand last year, which it said was "a big hit with parents and led us to produce a regular title".
The magazine closely reflects the content of the programme. The magazine team worked with families that watch the show to help develop the editorial content.
Each issue will come with a free gift and stickers, and readers will also have the chance to win products signed by the show's character. The magazine will be available at all major retailers and independents around the UK.
Editor Sara Oldham said: "We wanted to understand exactly what our readers need from their magazine. I’m happy to say that Something Special magazine has been shaped as much by its readers as by its expert editorial team."
The launch comes at a time when BBC Magazines is looking for a publishing partner for its existing portfolio of 35 titles.
Hearst Corporation is believed to have recently walked away from discussions with the BBC after it entered legally binding negotiations with Lagardère to buy its international portfolio, including the publishing license to fashion brand Elle.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London