Motorola releases Xoom tablet in US
Motorola has released its Xoom tablet in the US, fuelling rumours of a European launch within the next three months.
Motorola Xoom: European release expected within three months
The tablet, described as best in class by Andrew Morley, vice-president EMARA marketing for Motorola Mobility, launched yesterday (24 February).
It is also the first tablet to use Google's Android 3.0 operating system, dubbed Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets.
Motorola has completed deals to sell the Xoom in the UK at Currys & PC World, Carphone Warehouse and Best Buy.
The tablet is available in the US through Verizon, priced at $799.99 (a shade under £500) without a contract, or $599.99 (a little under £375) with a two-year contract, making it less expensive than the highest specification of the current iPads to buy outright, but more than a lower specification iPad on a contract.
T-Mobile owner Deutsche Telekom will also introduce Motorola Xoom, suggesting T-Mobile will be the first operator to offer the tablet at a subsidised rate in the UK.
Everything Everywhere brands Orange and T-Mobile both offered the iPad in the run-up to Christmas for £199 with a two-year, £25-per-month contract. Three also offered the same festive deal but included more free data.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London