Costa restarts ad feud with Starbucks
Costa Coffee is rejoining its war of words with Starbucks in ads that claim twice as many consumers prefer Costa to its rival.
Costa Coffee: war of words with Starbucks
The campaign, which will span press, outdoor and digital, is Costa’s biggest to date. It uses provocative lines such as ‘Sorry Starbucks, the people have voted. Again’; ‘A triumph for coffee lovers’; and ‘Voted the nation’s favourite coffee shop’.
In January 2010, Starbucks challenged Costa over the veracity of claims made in its ads. It complained to the ASA about its rival’s ‘7 out of 10 coffee-lovers prefer Costa’ campaign, but its objection was rejected.
Costa has based the claims for its latest ads, by agency Karmarama, on a survey conducted by Allegra Strategies. It found that, of 16,000 UK coffee drinkers asked, 54% named Costa as their favourite coffee shop; 27% cited Starbucks.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Optimisation Manager / Ad & Campaign Operations Manager UCAS Up to £50,000 plus 30-days annual leave, bonus, flexible benefits & pension, London (Central), London (Greater) / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- MARKETING MANAGER - Fashion Success Digital negotiable, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager or Senior Account Manager - Brand Engagement Stonor £28,000 - £40,000 dependent on experience , Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire