Tesco refuses government Clubcard share plan
Tesco has revealed exclusively to Marketing that it will refuse to pass on Clubcard data to the government, despite calls for the commercial sector to help compile the national census.
Tesco: refusing to share Clubcard data
The supermarket chain said consumers trusted Clubcard to keep their personal details confidential, and that it is not prepared to reveal the information provided by them.
'One of the key reasons our customers trust Clubcard is because they know Tesco would never compromise on the promise we make them,' said Clubcard director Janet Smith.
'There's no wriggle room, we just don't break that promise. To do so would be to jeopardise not only customers' trust, but also the success of the scheme.'
Last week, Marketing revealed that 15 retail, banking and utilities brands, which belong to lobbying body the Demographics User Group, had been in talks with government officials including Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude (Marketing, 2 March).
It is understood the government wants access to brands' customer data to overhaul the census and cut costs, which are projected to reach £500m.
The Office for National Statistics has made no decision on the future of the census, but talks were said to have stalled over the suggested use of Clubcard data and E.ON records.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...