Sony Ericsson Open gets the Foursquare treatment
Mobile manufacturer Sony Ericsson is to use the location-based social platform Foursquare to turn the Miami Open into the first ever "fully-integrated Foursquare sporting event".
Federer returns at the Miami Open
Sony is promoting its sponsorship of the tournament, by allowing the Foursquare user who becomes "mayor" of a court to toss the coin before a match to decide which player serves first.
Fans who attend the Sony Ericsson Open and "check in" at designated venues at the event through Foursquare on their mobiles could also win the chance to win discounts on tickets, access to post match press conferences and autograph signings.
Foursquare users will also be able to use the website during the tournament to access tips and match results.
Stephan Croix, vice president, head of global marketing partnerships at Sony Ericsson, said: "The partnership with Foursquare is a great way to reward tennis fans and engage with people through their smartphones.
"We think this is a fantastic way to build on the success of the Sony Ericsson Open and continue to find ways to improve the experience for tennis fans."
Foursquare, which preceded the similar app Facebook Places, rewards its users who "check in" at various locations by offering them virtual badges as well as discounts or special offers.
Caroline Woznaicki, the world number one, said: "I love the idea that Sony Ericsson and Foursquare are giving fans the chance to become a key part of the game, rather than just being spectators.
"The Sony Ericsson Open is always an amazing tournament on the tour, so it seems natural that we give the fans the ultimate tennis experience here in Miami."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...