Diageo awards showcase best international work
JWT New York and Freud Communications London were among the winners in Diageo's second annual agency awards, which stressed the importance of the paid-owned-earned media model.
Snirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project: led by JWT New York
The global drinks company recognised the best work from its more than 100 agencies at a ceremony in London this week, with winners flying in from as far afield as Singapore, the US and South Africa.
Diageo shook up the categories this year to focus on integration and the paid-owned-earned model, which is increasingly in favour in the marketing community.
There were two winning campaigns in the integration category, Synergy 360º: Arthur's Day 2010 in Ireland for Guinness and the Smirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Arthur's Day was led by PR agency Freud Communications London, working with WHPR, Irish International BBDO, RMG Target, Cybercom and Initiative Media.
The Smirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project was so successful that it will be expanded to over 50 countries this year from 14 last year. It was led by JWT New York, working with Splendid, DEI Worldwide, Virtue and AKQA.
Two advertising campaigns were recognised in the Bought category: Ogilvy & Mather Thailand for BenMore with an ad that delivered despite the country's strict rules on alcohol advertising; and Saatchi & Saatchi Cape Town and London for 'Guinness Scout', which ran in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya and Uganda.
The Owned category was won by Endemol South Africa, which created a TV talent contest (reminiscent of both 'The X Factor' and 'Big Brother') for the Tusker beer brand in East Africa.
The Earned category highlighted the most emotional work of the night, by PR agency Edelman BeNeLux for Johnnie Walker. Fitting the brand's global brief 'Keep Walking', the three-minute film of disabled triathlete Marc Herremans was shot for an experiential event but widely shared on YouTube.
Maha Dhurairaj, the account director who sought out Herremans and produced the film, said she wanted to recreate the feel of BBH London's six-minute film called 'The Man Who Walked Around the World'.
The second winner in the Earned category was digital and direct agency MRM USA for a Facebook fan recruitment programme for spirit brand Crown Royal.
Winners in the other categories included design agency Bloom London, Iris Miami, JWT and Landor Associates New York and Alchemy Partnership Singapore.
Andy Fennell, chief marketing officer at Diageo, said: "The relationship we have with our agencies is imperative to achieving consistent marketing excellence across our business."
Category: Synergy 360º
- Winning agency partner 1: Freud Communications, London (working with WHPR, Irish International BBDO, RMG Target, Cybercom and Initiative Media).
- Campaign: "Arthurs day 2010" Ireland (Europe).
- Winning agency partner 2: JWT, New York (working with Splendid, DEI Worldwide, Virtue and AKQA).
- Campaign: "Smirnoff, nightlife exchange project" Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil (Latin America and the Caribbean).
- Winning agency partner 1: Saatchi & Saatchi, Cape Town and London.
- Campaign: "Guinness scout campaign" Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Kenya and Uganda (Africa).
- Winning agency partner 2: Ogilvy & Mather Advertising, Thailand.
- Campaign: BenMore "360 relaunch" Thailand, (Asia Pacific).
- Winning agency partner: Endemol, South Africa.
- Campaign: Tusker "Project fame" East Africa, (Africa).
- Winning agency partner 1: Edelman, BeNeLux.
- Campaign: Marc Herremans – Johnnie Walker "Walk with giants" Belgium, (Europe).
- Winning agency partner 2: MRM, US
- Campaign: Crown Royal "Society of the crown" Facebook recruitment programme (North America).
Category: Promotions & events
- Winning agency partner: Alchemy Partnership, Singapore.
- Campaign: Guinness "Live! Unplugged" (Asia Pacific).
- Winning agency partners: JWT and Landor Associates, New York.
- Campaign: "Smirnoff mixed drinks" (North America).
Category: Design & gifting
- Winning agency partner: Bloom, London.
- Campaign: Talisker "Christmas gift pack – seascape" Great Britain (Europe).
Category: Responsible drinking
- Winning agency: Iris, Miami.
- Campaign: Johnnie Walker "Be a giant. Don’t drink and drive." responsible drinking cricket campaign (Latin America and the Caribbean).
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire