Tesco extends brand into used car business
Tesco has moved into the used car market, rebranding Carsite.co.uk as Tescocars.com over the weekend.
Tesco Cars: carsite.co.uk rebrands
Tesco owns a minority interest in carsite.co.uk, which will now be run as a Tesco brand, with the option to buy the remainder of its stake in the future.
Tescocars.com collects the details of 3,000 cars per week sourced from fleet operators, and offers 2,000 Clubcard reward points as an incentive to consumers.
To ensure the cars are in good condition, the site is run in conjunction with the RAC, which gives each car 167 separate checks before it put on sale.
Andrew Higginson, chief executive of retailing services at Tesco, said: "By supplying directly to customers, there is no middle man, no expensive showroom and no salespeople on commission."
After-sales support will come from 1,000 independent garages, offering service and finance deals that Tesco claims will be 30% cheaper than dealers.
The launch comes as another used car business webuyanycar.com was slammed by the Office of Fair Trading for giving customers much lower prices than it quoted them online.
Tesco's price matching promotion against Asda was watered-down last week, as consumers were thought to be buying products simply to get double the difference on refunds.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...