JWT and McCann share Viagra ad business
Pfizer has spilt the pan-European advertising duties for its Viagra drug between JWT and McCann Erickson.
Viagra has split Euro account
The appointment follows a pitch process that also included Rapp and TBWA. Pfizer kicked-off the Viagra review in January and does not currently have a retained agency on its pan-European Viagra advertising account.
McCann Erickson will be responsible for handling Viagra’s advertising activity, while JWT will target healthcare professionals with an ad campaign raising awareness of a "patient support programme" surrounding erectile dysfunction.
Advertising rules in the UK and some other European markets do not permit the direct promotion of prescription drug brands. However, previous TV advertising paid for by Pfizer has focused on raising general awareness of the issues surrounding erectile dysfunction. The footballer Pele featured in one such campaign.
The appointment of JWT will further strengthen the existing relationship the agency has with Pfizer. Last year the agency was appointed to handle the advertising account for a new "Viagra-like" product in development, which is planned to be made available for purchase over the counter later this year.
Digital and direct marketing activity for Viagra in Europe is currently handled by Rapp, which is affected by the appointments. The agency first picked up the £8 million account in November 2007, and has since been responsible for print, press and online activity for the brand.
Pfizer, JWT and McCann Erickson refused to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Project Manager Red Sofa London £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...