Private equity firm in running for BBC Magazines
Private equity firm Exponent has submitted a bid for the BBC Magazines portfolio.
BBC Magazines: private equity group Exponent submits bid
Exponent, which owns thetrainline.com and the Ambassador Theatre Group, has emerged as a rival to publishing companies in the competition for assets such as the Radio Times.
Publishers Hubert Burda and Future, which both expressed an interest in the portfolio at the start of the process, are not involved at this stage.
Bauer and H Bauer, which are believed to have put forward a joint offer to the BBC, are understood to have neither withdrawn from the process nor had their offer rejected.
The sale process is believed to be complicated by terms in which titles linked to BBC programmes, such as Top Gear, will be offered under licensing deals and with oversight by a BBC editorial board.
It is understood that a management buyout also remains an option that financial advisor KPMG could be asked to explore.
In its last financial year ending 31 March 2010, BBC Magazines reported revenue of £168.3m, and profits of £18.4m.
Out of that profit, lifestyle and specialist magazines including Radio Times, Good Food, Gardener's World and Top Gear, contributed £16.5m.
In March, Exponent acquired meat-free brand Quorn for £205m from Premier Foods and Intermediate Capital Group.
Exponent and BBC Magazines declined to comment.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...