Sony offers identity theft insurance to online customers
Sony has pledged to insure users of its Qriocity and PlayStation online services against identity theft following data breaches in which hackers obtained personal customer data including credit card details.
Playstation Network: online users insured following data theft
The pledge is part of Sony's damage limitation exercise following the theft of data on a total of just over 100 million users of its online gaming and entertainment services.
Sony suspended its services as a result, although it claims there is no evidence that details have been used maliciously yet.
In a letter to Sony PlayStation users posted on its blog, Sir Howard Stringer, chairman and chief executive of Sony, said policies worth $1m (£610,000) had been secured for each user of Playstation network and Qriocity users in the US, and further deals for European customers would be in place shortly.
However, the policies will only apply to future instances where customers suffer identity theft.
"To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world.
"A program for US PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon."
Stringer said Sony would also give users a month of free membership to PlayStation Plus, and extended subscriptions to Playstation Plus and Music Unlimited customers for time lost following the cyber attacks when services were suspended.
Stringer also confirmed that the FBI was actively investigating the attacks to find the hackers responsible.Sony recently confirmed it is to release a tablet computer in the autumn.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...