TUI defies global turmoil to post improved financial outlook
TUI Travel, Europe's largest travel operator, has reported a 5% lift in revenue alongside 'improved' underlying operating profits in its first six months, despite losses from the effects of Easter and unrest in North Africa.
Thomson ad: cautious on uncertain outlook
The operator, which owns brands First Choice and Thomson, posted a 5% increase in revenue to £5.2bn in the first six months to 31 March.
The company saw a slight decrease in its underlying operating loss before tax to £364m, down from £375m last year.
Peter Long, chief executive of TUI Travel Plc, said he was "pleased" with the improved first half operating result while the company was faced with the effects of the political unrest in Egypt and Tunisia, the "weak UK economic environment" and the shift of the Easter period.
He said: "This result demonstrates our continued success in turning around underperforming businesses and shows the strength of our differentiated products which have allowed us to outperform the market.
"The first half performance and our current booking position for the summer season leave us well placed to deliver the Board's expectations for the year. At this stage of the booking cycle, however, we remain cautious given the uncertain economic and geopolitical outlook."
Yesterday (Monday 9 May) rival Thomas Cook reported an increase in underlying operating loss of £36m for its first half and said that trading in the UK remained "tough".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...