Rajar Q1 2011: Capital FM regains London's top spot from Magic
Global Radio's 95.8 Capital FM has ended Magic 105.4's run as the most listened to commercial radio station in London, beating it on reach and share during the first three months of 2011.
Capital's Johnny Vaughan and Lisa Snowdon still London's leading breakfast show
According to Q1 Rajar figures released today (12 May), more than two million (2.179 million people are now tuning into Capital FM each week.
The results represent Capital’s highest total reach and share for more than six years.
Leading the charge is the station's energetic breakfast duo, Johnny Vaughan and Lisa Snowdon, who retained their number one breakfast show position with 1.227 million listeners – up 143,000 on the fourth quarter of 2010.
The show now attracts 100,000 more listeners than BBC Radio 1's Chris Moyles in the capital, although Radio 2's Chris Evans remains topdog with 2.259m listeners.
It will be a double celebration at Global Radio's Leicester Square headquarters today, with sibling Heart 106.2 also leapfrogging Magic to become London's second most listened to commercial station.
However, Steve Parkinson, managing director of Magic's owner Bauer Media, was far from defeatist. He told Media Week: "The amount of marketing that Global Radio has done you would expect to see that return. Well done to them, given the amount they spent you've got to secure some gains. Magic has been consistently at the top over the last few quarters."
The battle for the mantle of London's biggest commercial radio station promises to be fiercely contested throughout rest of 2011, with Parkinson promising "it will be the fight it always is".
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Middleweight Artworker become £32K, London
- International Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £28,000 per annum, South East
- PR and Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- International Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, South East region
- Digital Project Manager - Hugely Respected Digital Agency ADLIB £30000 - £45000 per annum, Oxford