Top German football club advertises in FT for shirt sponsor
Bayer 04 Leverkusen, the German football club, has taken the highly unusual step of advertising for a headline shirt sponsor in the UK business paper, the Financial Times.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen: German football club seeks shirt sponsor via FT ad
Leverkusen lost its main shirt sponsor this year after the energy company TelDaFax ended its two-year deal.
The club, which is in the Bundesliga, German's top division, is now running an ad in the FT that states "Come and play the Champions League with us!
"This is your opportunity to become the main sponsor for Bayer 04 Leverkusen."
It is unclear if the ad, which appeared this week, was placed by the football club or by a sport sales house on its behalf.
However, sponsorship experts agree that it is highly unusual to place an ad in a UK business paper.
Andy Sutherden, managing director sports marketing and sponsorship at Hill & Knowlton, said: "My sentiment is that it is an innovative way of spending the same sales budget to acquire a shirt sponsor."
Leverkusen, whose players include former German captain Michael Ballack, reached the European Champions League final in 2002.
According to the Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABCs), the title's circulation was 362,685 in May, which included around 20,000 bulk copies – those copies that are distributed for a nominal fee to selected hotels and airlines, but which are free to the reader.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...