Top German football club advertises in FT for shirt sponsor
Bayer 04 Leverkusen, the German football club, has taken the highly unusual step of advertising for a headline shirt sponsor in the UK business paper, the Financial Times.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen: German football club seeks shirt sponsor via FT ad
Leverkusen lost its main shirt sponsor this year after the energy company TelDaFax ended its two-year deal.
The club, which is in the Bundesliga, German's top division, is now running an ad in the FT that states "Come and play the Champions League with us!
"This is your opportunity to become the main sponsor for Bayer 04 Leverkusen."
It is unclear if the ad, which appeared this week, was placed by the football club or by a sport sales house on its behalf.
However, sponsorship experts agree that it is highly unusual to place an ad in a UK business paper.
Andy Sutherden, managing director sports marketing and sponsorship at Hill & Knowlton, said: "My sentiment is that it is an innovative way of spending the same sales budget to acquire a shirt sponsor."
Leverkusen, whose players include former German captain Michael Ballack, reached the European Champions League final in 2002.
According to the Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABCs), the title's circulation was 362,685 in May, which included around 20,000 bulk copies – those copies that are distributed for a nominal fee to selected hotels and airlines, but which are free to the reader.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Campaign Delivery Executive Stopgap £20000 - £23000 per annum, London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London