McDonald's to sell certified sustainable fish
McDonald's is hoping to boost its environmental credentials by sourcing its fish from suppliers approved by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
McDonald's: commits to sourcing sustainable fish
McDonald's will be the first fast-food company to introduce MSC certified white fish across Europe. It is unclear whether the initiative will be supported with marketing.
The move marks the latest attempt by the fast-food company to up the ante against its rivals in a long-standing battle to appear the most environmentally conscious.
The fast food chain will source council-approved Alaskan Pollack and Baltic cod to sell in 7,000 restaurants across 39 European countries, including the UK.
The MSC logo will appear on McDonald's packaging for products including the filet-o-fish from October.
Steve Easterbrook, president of McDonald's Europe, said: "McDonald's will be making MSC labelled fish available at an affordable price to millions of our customers across Europe.
"We chose the MSC certification as the most robust and recognisable independent accreditation of our sustainable fisheries standard. This is an important milestone in our commitment to ensure future long-term supply."
The MSC is an international non-profit organisation with a remit it to remedy the problem of overfishing.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East