Google's web dominance to be investigated in US
Google is set to be formally investigated by US regulators over the potential threat of its online dominance, according to reports.
The Wall Street Journal has reported that the Federal Trade Commission is poised to issue subpoenas to Google in a matter of days and is likely to investigate whether Google searches unfairly steer users to its own services at the expense of rivals.
The Financial Times also notes the FTC's growing interest in a report claiming attorneys-general in California, New York and Ohio have recently launched antitrust probes into Google's dominance.
The news of these investigations follows a similar antitrust probe into Google launched by the European Commission in November last year.
The ongoing case in Europe was triggered by complaints from a number of competitors, including Mircosoft’s Ciao, that Google has unfairly penalising them in search rankings.
Last year the Texas attorney-general also launched an investigation into Google over its web dominance.
Amid this growing controversy Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt said at the Cannes Lions advertising festival yesterday that it is looking to acquire more companies to grow its presence in display advertising, according to a report in Reuters.
Google declined to comment on the reports.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...