News of the World pulls all ads after client exodus
The News of the World is pulling all advertising from its issue this weekend after losing a raft of advertisers in the wake of allegations over its phone hacking activities.
The organisation is attempting to repair its damaged reputation after a catastrophic two days, which started with Ford suspending all advertising activity in the News of the World until parent company News International completes a full investigation of the Milly Dowler phone-hacking allegations.
Among the other brands to pull out of the paper since then are key clients including O2 and Shop Direct, Boots and numerous other key accounts.
It is understood only four main clients remained in this weekend's paper, Sky, British Gas, Mars, Tesco.
Advertisers have come under increasing pressure from the public, via social media and other routes, to pull spend from the News International newspaper following the allegations that started with reports it had hacked into the mobile phone of murdered school girl Milly Dowler.
As story after story escalated the allegations against the paper, advertisers changed initially cautious responses and began pulling out in force today.
A statement from News International is expected imminently.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Web producer for clientside company £45k Digital Gurus £42000 - £45000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...