News of the World pulls all ads after client exodus
The News of the World is pulling all advertising from its issue this weekend after losing a raft of advertisers in the wake of allegations over its phone hacking activities.
The organisation is attempting to repair its damaged reputation after a catastrophic two days, which started with Ford suspending all advertising activity in the News of the World until parent company News International completes a full investigation of the Milly Dowler phone-hacking allegations.
Among the other brands to pull out of the paper since then are key clients including O2 and Shop Direct, Boots and numerous other key accounts.
It is understood only four main clients remained in this weekend's paper, Sky, British Gas, Mars, Tesco.
Advertisers have come under increasing pressure from the public, via social media and other routes, to pull spend from the News International newspaper following the allegations that started with reports it had hacked into the mobile phone of murdered school girl Milly Dowler.
As story after story escalated the allegations against the paper, advertisers changed initially cautious responses and began pulling out in force today.
A statement from News International is expected imminently.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Digital Account Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...