News of the World pulls all ads after client exodus
The News of the World is pulling all advertising from its issue this weekend after losing a raft of advertisers in the wake of allegations over its phone hacking activities.
The organisation is attempting to repair its damaged reputation after a catastrophic two days, which started with Ford suspending all advertising activity in the News of the World until parent company News International completes a full investigation of the Milly Dowler phone-hacking allegations.
Among the other brands to pull out of the paper since then are key clients including O2 and Shop Direct, Boots and numerous other key accounts.
It is understood only four main clients remained in this weekend's paper, Sky, British Gas, Mars, Tesco.
Advertisers have come under increasing pressure from the public, via social media and other routes, to pull spend from the News International newspaper following the allegations that started with reports it had hacked into the mobile phone of murdered school girl Milly Dowler.
As story after story escalated the allegations against the paper, advertisers changed initially cautious responses and began pulling out in force today.
A statement from News International is expected imminently.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London