Amazon 'to launch Android tablet in October'
Amazon, the ecommerce giant, is planning to launch a tablet computer running Google's Android operating system in October this year, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
Amazon Kindle ad: tablet launch
Amazon is to use its tablet to position itself in mobile commerce and sell more digital goods, such as ebooks, music and films, according to the report.
It will increase the competition between Amazon and Apple, which so far has stolen a march on the tablet market and sells digital books, music and video through its iTunes.
Amazon's catalogue of 950,000 ebooks are already available on Apple's iPad, iPhone and iPod through its Kindle app.
In March last year Amazon unveiled a cloud music player, available through web browsers and mobile devices running on Google Android.
In its most recent results, Amazon reported sales had risen 40% to $34.2bn (£21.6bn) in 2010.
Amazon did not respond to a request for comment.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Planner - middleweight Pitch Consultants £23000 - £27000 per annum, Leeds
- PR Director - Energy & Environment Jarlett de Grouchy £43000 - £48000 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital Project Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Better Placed Recruitment £32000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, Manchester