Amazon 'to launch Android tablet in October'
Amazon, the ecommerce giant, is planning to launch a tablet computer running Google's Android operating system in October this year, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
Amazon Kindle ad: tablet launch
Amazon is to use its tablet to position itself in mobile commerce and sell more digital goods, such as ebooks, music and films, according to the report.
It will increase the competition between Amazon and Apple, which so far has stolen a march on the tablet market and sells digital books, music and video through its iTunes.
Amazon's catalogue of 950,000 ebooks are already available on Apple's iPad, iPhone and iPod through its Kindle app.
In March last year Amazon unveiled a cloud music player, available through web browsers and mobile devices running on Google Android.
In its most recent results, Amazon reported sales had risen 40% to $34.2bn (£21.6bn) in 2010.
Amazon did not respond to a request for comment.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...