Betfair puts QR codes on beach volleyball bums
Betfair, the online sports betting provider, is placing QR codes on the bikini bottoms of two beach volleyball sportswomen, in a bid to sign up new customers at the test Olympic beach volleyball tournament this week.
Betfair: online betting exchange prints QR codes on volleyball players' bikini bottoms
Zara Dampney, 24, and Shauna Mullin, 26, have agreed to wear bikini bottoms that have quick response (QR) codes printed on to them.
When the codes are photographed by a smartphone, the user is directed to a registration page to join Betfair, offering consumers a free bet.
The new marketing ploy is being trialled at this week’s London 2012 beach volleyball test tournament at Horse Guards Parade, London, from today (9 August) until 14 August.
Betfair mobile is sponsoring Dampney and Mullin for the week’s tournament.
Last week, the brand revealed it was overhauling its sports sponsorship activities by introducing four brand ambassadors, including former England cricketer Michael Vaughan and retired rugby star Will Greenwood. Betfair also announced an end to its two-year relationship with FC Barcelona.
Andy Lulham, head of PR at Betfair, said: "There is huge interest in beach volleyball and we want to ensure that our advertising campaign is seen and remembered by as many sports fans as possible.
"As far as we’re aware, this is the first time QR codes have been used in in-play sports advertising, and what better way to test its effectiveness than by putting them on one of the places that is likely to get photographed the most?"
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London