Betfair puts QR codes on beach volleyball bums
Betfair, the online sports betting provider, is placing QR codes on the bikini bottoms of two beach volleyball sportswomen, in a bid to sign up new customers at the test Olympic beach volleyball tournament this week.
Betfair: online betting exchange prints QR codes on volleyball players' bikini bottoms
Zara Dampney, 24, and Shauna Mullin, 26, have agreed to wear bikini bottoms that have quick response (QR) codes printed on to them.
When the codes are photographed by a smartphone, the user is directed to a registration page to join Betfair, offering consumers a free bet.
The new marketing ploy is being trialled at this week’s London 2012 beach volleyball test tournament at Horse Guards Parade, London, from today (9 August) until 14 August.
Betfair mobile is sponsoring Dampney and Mullin for the week’s tournament.
Last week, the brand revealed it was overhauling its sports sponsorship activities by introducing four brand ambassadors, including former England cricketer Michael Vaughan and retired rugby star Will Greenwood. Betfair also announced an end to its two-year relationship with FC Barcelona.
Andy Lulham, head of PR at Betfair, said: "There is huge interest in beach volleyball and we want to ensure that our advertising campaign is seen and remembered by as many sports fans as possible.
"As far as we’re aware, this is the first time QR codes have been used in in-play sports advertising, and what better way to test its effectiveness than by putting them on one of the places that is likely to get photographed the most?"
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London