Google buys Motorola mobile brand for $12.5bn
Google has agreed to buy mobile phone business Motorola Mobility for $12.5bn (£7.7bn) in cash.
The acquisition will move the search business decisively into the hardware arena and into ever greater competition with Apple and Microsoft.
Motorola Mobility has launched a number of consumer products running on the Android operating system developed by Google, including the Xoom tablet and the Droid smartphone.
In addition it has a video solutions division serving cable and telecoms operators.
Google's chief executive Larry Page claimed the reason for the move was to "supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers".
He also indicated Motorola's patents were an attractive asset, saying: "Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."
Google said Android would remain an open ecosystem and it would run Motorola Mobility as a separate business.
The $40 per share price it is paying for Motorola Mobility Holdings is a 63% premium to its target's closing share price on Friday.
The acquisition is subject to approval by Motorola shareholders and regulators in the US and the European Union among other jurisdictions.
Motorola Mobility Holdings was created at the end of 2010 when Motorola split into two companies, of which the other was Motorola Solutions.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Sales Controller Better Placed Recruitment £50000 - £60000 per annum + Car + 20% Bonus , North West England