CC clears Thomas Cook and Co-op Travel merger
Thomas Cook and Co-operative Travel have today had their merger approved by the Competition Commission, a deal that will create the UK's largest multi-channel travel retailer.
Thomas Cook: CC clears Co-op Travel merger
The investigation into the proposed joint venture between the Thomas Cook Group, The Co-operative Group and the Midlands Co-operative concluded that it "will not result in a substantial lessening of competition".
The joint venture will be 66.5% owned by Thomas Cook, 30% owned by the Co-operative Group and 3.5% owned by the Midlands Co-operative.
Thomas Cook has denied weekend reports that it is planning the closure of hundreds of its high street stores following the merger.
The Competition Commission approval comes less than two weeks after Thomas Cook Group chief executive Manny Fontenla-Novoa made a shock exit from his post.
It also comes only days days after Ian Derbyshire, retail chief executive of Thomas Cook UK & Ireland responsible for the brand’s high street offering, said he would be leaving the company.
Fontenla-Novoa's duties have been taken on by deputy, Sam Weihagen, until a replacement is found.
Last month, Thomas Cook announced it was carrying out a fundamental operational and strategic review of its UK business, as it issued its third profit warning in less than a year. The group reported a 6% drop in revenue last December.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...