Midweek Sport launches with crude Cheryl Cole shot
David Sulivan's midweek edition of the sensationalist Sunday Sport will hit newsstands tomorrow (Wednesday) with a front page splash story involving Cheryl Cole and a dwarf photographer.
Midweek Sport: launches with Cheryl Cole splash
The tabloid, called Midweek Sport, will debut tomorrow (Wednesday) across the UK and will remain on newsstands until Saturday.
Like the Sunday Sport, the MidWeek Sport's point of difference to other titles will be its sensationalist stories and high quota of topless girls.
The first issue of Midweek Sport, priced at 60p, will run to 64 pages. Around 170,000 copies are being printed.
Advertisers in the paper will be adult brands and the editorial content will feature "real-life" stories about "Britain's behaving badly" according to editor Nick Appleyard.
Sulivan's company Sunday Sport 2011 bought the rights to the Sunday Sport name after he struck a deal with the administrators for Sports Media Group (SMG), its previous owner, in April this year.
SMG stopped publishing the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport in April. The Sunday Sport began publishing again on 8 May.
Mark Harris, managing director of Sunday Sport 2011, said he would be pleased to achieve an initial circulation of over 60,000 but hope to increase this to more than 100,000 by the end of the year.
The title will be stocked in newsagents across the country. However major supermarkets such as Tesco and Sainsbury – with the exception of the Co-op – will not list the title.
Sulivan is also considering launching a Friday edition of the tabloid and is likely to make a final decision on this by October this year.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Business Director PFJ £60000.00 - £75000.00 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...