Midweek Sport launches with crude Cheryl Cole shot
David Sulivan's midweek edition of the sensationalist Sunday Sport will hit newsstands tomorrow (Wednesday) with a front page splash story involving Cheryl Cole and a dwarf photographer.
Midweek Sport: launches with Cheryl Cole splash
The tabloid, called Midweek Sport, will debut tomorrow (Wednesday) across the UK and will remain on newsstands until Saturday.
Like the Sunday Sport, the MidWeek Sport's point of difference to other titles will be its sensationalist stories and high quota of topless girls.
The first issue of Midweek Sport, priced at 60p, will run to 64 pages. Around 170,000 copies are being printed.
Advertisers in the paper will be adult brands and the editorial content will feature "real-life" stories about "Britain's behaving badly" according to editor Nick Appleyard.
Sulivan's company Sunday Sport 2011 bought the rights to the Sunday Sport name after he struck a deal with the administrators for Sports Media Group (SMG), its previous owner, in April this year.
SMG stopped publishing the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport in April. The Sunday Sport began publishing again on 8 May.
Mark Harris, managing director of Sunday Sport 2011, said he would be pleased to achieve an initial circulation of over 60,000 but hope to increase this to more than 100,000 by the end of the year.
The title will be stocked in newsagents across the country. However major supermarkets such as Tesco and Sainsbury – with the exception of the Co-op – will not list the title.
Sulivan is also considering launching a Friday edition of the tabloid and is likely to make a final decision on this by October this year.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London