Facebook to stream its first live football match
Facebook is to stream its first live football match, demonstrating the increasing power of social media in the eyes of brands.
Ascot United: club to feature in first football match streamed live on Facebook
The game is the opening match of this year’s FA Cup, a preliminary round match between two minnows of the football world, Ascot United and Wembley.
The match will be played on Friday (August 19) at 7.45pm.
The streaming of the match comes courtesy of a commercial deal between the FA, its lead sponsor Budweiser, and Facebook.
Budweiser anticipates that the match will attract a global audience, although the two clubs are not household names, even in the UK.
Football fans will be able to watch the game at the Budweiser fan page, www.facebook.com/BudweiserUK, on Facebook.
The live streaming is available only to people aged 18 and over, claims Budweiser.
Consumers whose Facebook profiles are under 18, will not be able to access the dedicated Budweiser fan page.
The reason the match can be streamed via Facebook is that preliminary round FA Cup matches do not have broadcasting rights holders.
ITV and ESPN are the broadcast rights holders for this year’s competition, and will screen matches once the first round begins.
Sources have suggested to Marketing that it is unlikely that other FA Cup matches will be streamed on Facebook, but nothing has been ruled out.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...