Sony parts with Beige and launches pitch process for home electronics
Sony has launched a pitch process to appoint an agency to cover its range of consumer electronics products.
Sony: releases about 600 products a year
The brief is currently held by Beige, which has decided not to re-pitch, blaming differences between the two companies. Beige has held the brief for three years, winning it when it was named Borkowski PR.
The fees are thought to be about £250,000 a year.
Sony UK head of PR Lucie Speciale told PRWeek: ‘As part of our PR efforts, we continuously review our agencies. For this reason, after three years, we are launching a pitch process.’
Beige director Emeka Njodi said: ‘The decision was taken not to re-pitch as we felt that we are both in different places culturally.
‘The agency has achieved some great things with the account and Sony is a good brand, but it is important to move forward and focus on the future.’
The brief covers all of the Japanese electronics giant’s products that do not include mobile phones, PlayStation or professional equipment. The brief includes televisions, hi-fis and camcorders. The company releases about 600 consumer products a year.
Sony is understood to be at creds stage and has not yet drawn together a pitch list.
It was revealed last week that Sony is set to release the world’s first digital binocular set in November.
The PR search does not affect any other parts of Sony’s PR business. Sony uses Bite Communications for its pan-European business, which recently helped the company to promote the first 3D production of the Wimbledon tennis championship. In addition, Marlin PR handles Sony's UK business to business account.
In June, Shine Communications was appointed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe to work as international hub for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Network and upcoming software releases.
Borkowski PR was renamed Beige in April, after founder Mark Borkowski split with the agency. It is led by MD Larry Franks.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- E-Commerce Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, South East England
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London