Sunderland appoints first international marketing director
Sunderland, the Premier League football club, has appointed its first international marketing director, as the club aims to bolster its international financial coffers by launching country-tailored websites.
Sunderland AFC: appoints Mke Farnan to international marketing role
The club has appointed former Manchester United commercial executive Mike Farnan to the national and international post.
He replaces Lesley Callaghan, who stepped down from the role of marketing director in 2009. Callaghan’s role, however, did not have an international element to it.
Farnan has more than 20 years' related experience, including key commercial roles at Manchester United and Jordan Formula 1.
His role is a board-level appointment and his remit will be to develop the club’s commercial and sponsorship units, and increase revenue streams in the UK and overseas.
His appointment comes as Sunderland launches a Korean version of the club’s website.
The club is hoping to tap into the interest in football, and specifically football in Korea, generated by its signing of Korean striker Ji Dong-won from Chunnam Dragons during the summer.
Farnan’s previous roles include managing director of Manchester United International – a unit set up to grow the brand in Asia and the Middle East.
He has also held similar roles with Serie A club Parma and La Liga club Atletico Madrid.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...