Sunderland appoints first international marketing director
Sunderland, the Premier League football club, has appointed its first international marketing director, as the club aims to bolster its international financial coffers by launching country-tailored websites.
Sunderland AFC: appoints Mke Farnan to international marketing role
The club has appointed former Manchester United commercial executive Mike Farnan to the national and international post.
He replaces Lesley Callaghan, who stepped down from the role of marketing director in 2009. Callaghan’s role, however, did not have an international element to it.
Farnan has more than 20 years' related experience, including key commercial roles at Manchester United and Jordan Formula 1.
His role is a board-level appointment and his remit will be to develop the club’s commercial and sponsorship units, and increase revenue streams in the UK and overseas.
His appointment comes as Sunderland launches a Korean version of the club’s website.
The club is hoping to tap into the interest in football, and specifically football in Korea, generated by its signing of Korean striker Ji Dong-won from Chunnam Dragons during the summer.
Farnan’s previous roles include managing director of Manchester United International – a unit set up to grow the brand in Asia and the Middle East.
He has also held similar roles with Serie A club Parma and La Liga club Atletico Madrid.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Integrated Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum, London
- Brand Analyst, Social Media Hasson Associates £30,000 - £35,000, Central London
- Senior Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + car allowance+ bonus, Berkshire
- Associate Director, Consumer Research Jarlett de Grouchy £38000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, Oxfordshire
- Senior Innovation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per Car/ Car Allowance, South East
- Range and Merchandising Executive Ball & Hoolahan £33,000 per annum, London