MTV Video Music Awards: Gallery
The MTV Video Music Awards received a welcome boost from Lady Gaga dressing up as male alter ego Jo Calderone and Beyonce announcing her pregnancy on Sunday night, attracting its biggest-ever audience.
Pop, rock and hip hop stars at the event included Jessie J, Justin Bieber, the cast from MTV's reality show 'Jersey Shore', Katy Perry, the Foo Fighters, Kanye West, Jay Z and Adele.
According to unofficial figures, the programme was watched by an audience of 12.4 million viewers in the US on Sunday, up 9% from last year, while it delivered 8.5 million viewers in the 12 to 34 age group, an increase of 8% year on year, according to Nielsen.
MTV said its website figures also had a record-breaking VMA day, attracting two million unique visitors, up 33% year on year, and 2.3 million video streams during the day, up 41% year on year.
The MTV VMAs also set a record for the most Tweets ever sent on social network Twitter during a single second when 8,868 tweets were sent after Beyonce showed her baby bump; ahead of the last record of 7,196 during the final of the women’s World Cup in July.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- 2x positions: Social Media & Senior Social Media Manager - Award Winning Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000 - 36,000 + benefits , London West End
- Freelance Senior Producer Purple Consultancy £250 - £300 per day, London
- Campaign Reporting & Performance Manager Major Players £55000 - £60000 per annum + bens, London
- Campaign Manager Purple Consultancy £200 - £250 per day, Woking